The M Word Consulting
HEALTHY NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS FOR CHILDREN & TEENS ✨
The start of a new year is a great time to help your children focus on forming good habits. Making New Year's resolutions can be a fun way to do this! 💫
As Self Defence experts and parents, we know how important it is to set healthy goals with kids. Children also love having something to work toward. They can have fun keeping track on sticker charts or getting praise or rewards as they reach their goals, depending on their age 🌟
But beyond the usual goals of physical activity, good behaviour and healthy eating habits, we encourage you to empower your children by helping them also set some safety and self defence goals for 2022. If it's too overwhelming for your kids to think of them as resolutions, then just talk about them as goals and make it fun 🤩
Here are some healthy and positive goal-setting resolution ideas you can suggest to your children, depending on their age:
👉🏼 NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION IDEAS FOR PRESCHOOLERS
• I will try hard to clean up my toys by putting them where they belong.
• I will let my parents help me brush my teeth twice a day.
• I will wash my hands after going to the bathroom and before eating.
• I will try new foods when I can, especially all different colours of vegetables.
• I will learn how to help clear the table when I am done eating.
• I will be friendly to all animals. I will learn how to ask the owners if I can pet their animal first.
• I will always hold a grown-up's hand whenever I cross the street.
• I will do my best to be nice to other kids who need a friend or look sad or lonely.
• I will talk with my parent or another adult I trust when I need help or am scared.
• I will not keep secrets from my mum or dad
• I will only hug, kiss or touch other people if I want to and never because I am told to
• I will use my voice if I feel scared
• I will throw a tantrum and go crazy if someone other than my parents or teachers scares me and tells me to do something I don’t want to do
👉🏼 NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION IDEAS FOR KIDS (5 TO 12 YEARS OLD)
• I will drink water every day and healthy beverages like milk with meals. I will keep soft drinks and fruit drinks only for special times.
• I will wear my seat belt every time I get in a car. I'll sit in the back seat and use a booster seat until I am tall enough to use a lap/shoulder seat belt.
• I will try to find a physical activity (like playing tag, jumping rope, dancing or riding my bike) or a sport I like and do it at least three times a week!
• I will take care of my skin by putting on sunscreen and wearing a hat and sunglasses when possible.
• I will always wear a helmet when riding a bike, scooter or skateboard.
• I will try to save time to read for fun.
• I'll try to be friendly to kids who may have a hard time making friends by talking with them and inviting them to join activities.
• I will tell an adult about bullying that I see or hear about to do what I can to help keep school safe for everyone.
• I will keep my personal information safe and not share my name, home address, school name or telephone number online. Also, I'll never send a picture of myself to someone I chat with on the computer or phone without asking my parent if it is okay.
• I will try to talk with my parent or a trusted adult when I have a problem or feel stressed.
• I promise that I'll do my best to follow our household rules for videogames and internet use.
• I will not keep secrets from my parents, even if another adult or my friends tell me to.
• I will never help another adult with anything unless my parents tell me it is ok.
• I will only hug, kiss or touch other people if I want to, and never because I am pressured to.
• I will scream and yell and fight back if I feel threatened. I will not cooperate and will run away as fast as possible.
• I will never let someone take me anywhere in their car unless I know them and it was planned.
👉🏼 NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION IDEAS FOR TEENS (13 YEARS OLD AND OLDER)
• I will try to eat two servings of fruit and two servings of vegetables every day. I will drink sodas or fruit drinks only at special times.
• I will do my best to take care of my body through fun physical activity and eating the right types and amounts of foods.
• When I have some down time for media, I will try to choose educational, high-quality non-violent TV shows and video games that I enjoy. I will spend only one to two hours each day—at the most— on these activities. I promise to respect out household rules for videogames and internet use.
• I agree not to use a mobile phone or text message while driving and to always use a seat belt.
• I will try to get 8 to 10 hours of sleep that my body needs each night.
• I will do what I can to help out in my community. I will give some of my time to help others, working with community groups or others that help people in need. These activities will make me feel better about myself and my community.
• When I feel angry stressed out, I will take a break and find helpful ways to deal with the stress, such as exercising, reading, writing in a journal or talking about my problem with a parent or friend.
• When faced with a difficult decision, I will talk about my choices with an adult I can trust.
• When I notice my friends are struggling, being bullied or making risky choices, I will look for a trusted adult so that we can attempt to find a way to help.
• I will be careful about whom I choose to date. I will treat the other person with respect and not force them to do something they do not want to do. I will not use violence. I will expect to be treated the same way in return.
• I will resist peer pressure to try drugs, alcohol, smoking or vaping.
• I will resist peer pressure to engage in physical or sexual contact with anyone, even if it is the person I am dating.
• I will be careful about images taken of me and will not share revealing photos of myself with others. If I see revealing images of others being shared amongst my friends I will alert my parents or an adult I trust.
• I will be careful about my personal safety; I will not put myself in vulnerable settings where I could be in danger, I will try to avoid going places alone and I will always be aware of my surroundings.
• I will learn some safety and self defence skills so I know what to do if I ever feel threatened.
As well as enrolling your child in a COBRA Self Defence course in the new year, you can always talk with your child's doctor about other important habits that can help ensure a happy, healthy and safe new year 😊
Like, share and follow for more from COBRA Sunshine Coast.